Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My First Experience

This week i began my teaching during classtime. I was asked to run a lab during one of the classes on looking at plant cells through a microscope. To be honost I didn't really know what I was doing and I was pulling the directions right out of my head and a little sheet that I was given with a step by step direction. It was hard to try to to teach something in where I didn't really know 100% of what I was doing but I found a way to get through with it.
Overall I thought the lab went well and I was complimented by my instructor. I feltit didn't go as smoothly as she daid it did just because I felt I didn't really know what I was doing but I guess it looked like I did.
It felt good to me to be in front of the class and having them listen to what I was saying and instructing them to do. I felt they listened to me and coroporated very well in the lab. Though they all acted very well I did feel that they were acting that good just because I was new to teaching the class. I think I'll start to figure that out the more times that I teach them and when they get more comfortable with me teaching.
The day after the lab I led in a post lab conversation which I also thought went really well. The kids listened to what I had to say and they all worked together on answering the questions that I had asked.
To me it was exciting to get started and as I go on I know I'm going to get more and more comfortable in being able to get these kids to learn and I will be able to plan my own lessons and hopefully these kids will be able to learn things from me and I will have atleast a little impact on their learning experience.

2 comments:

  1. I commend you on your communications as well! I definitely notice a difference in their attention span when you are leading. I must admit I am a little surprised at the tone you established so early - and am quite impressed.

    I agree that your content is perhaps a bit rusty, and I fault myself for not teaching you bio better as a sophomore!

    How do you think you will improve this for the next experience? I would like you to take the lead on the osmosis (egg) lab next week. Rather than provide you with an outline, I will let you come up with your own - let aim for about 20-30 minutes per block for a week. I will also provide you with some appropriate level materials to brush up on before that week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also found when I have to teach something, I learn it to a different level. Teachers have to spend time researching on the internet, reading several text books on the topic to be sure you are covering the topic, you can't always rely on just your text book. Soon you will be an expert!

    ReplyDelete